Saturday, March 31, 2012

Strategies for Resolving Conflicts

I don't allow myself to become involved in conflicts so that is actually my first strategy for avoiding conflict all together.  In the past, I have find it easy to get involved in a conflict with others, but now I find it so much more satisfying and rewarding to avoid it all together.  I'm at a point in my life that I don't let too many things upset me, so I choose to avoid and/or ignore the things that have the potential to cause a disagreement.
Another strategy that I find useful is being straight forward and honest with people from the start.  I've found over the years that people respect you more for being up front with them and it avoids any conflict when you are not afraid to say whats on your mind, but respectfully.

If I every come to a disagreement with someone, it will usually be something very minor because I rarely have the time energy to get into anything else.  I am willing to compromise and look for solutions rather to let the situation escalate.  I always try to listen and respect what others have to say, and I will let them know it is something that doesnt't sit will with me without it turning into a disagreement.

2 comments:

  1. Wanda,

    I agree with your strategy to be straight forward. This allows others to know where you stand on certain issues, and that you will always be truthful. This also I think helps avoid conflict because if a person thinks they can gossip to you about someone else they will think again when they remember that you will most likely come right out and say that is not right and not what you want to hear.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanda,
    You make a great point about being forthcoming, and clear of drama that can draw us into conflicting situations. As Tina mentioned if they think that they can bring you gossip then they will do so and you will always be in the midst of conflict. I find this to be prevalent in day care settings where they are mainly female teachers. This is an overwhelming challenge for directors and innocent bystanders who like you have no interest in being involved. Thanks for sharing.

    Tarsha

    ReplyDelete