Saturday, March 24, 2012

Evaluations

The way I evaluated myself and the way others evaluated me is very similar.  This is surprising to me because often times people just assume things about a person without really knowing the person.  I was surprised to learn that their evaluations were not far from the one I did on myself.

One insight I gain about communication is that people may know you better than you think they know you.  This makes me feel as though I am good at communicating what I like and dislike.  It's important in my personal and professional life to communicate effectively with people so that they will be comfortable with you.  This will keep communication lines open and build effective working relationships.

Another insight I gained about communication is to be aware of how I communicate with others and the messages I send out because you never know how your actions are perceived by others.  If I want to be viewed a certain way in life, then I have to make sure I am sending out the right messages to others.  Professionally, I need to always be aware of how I am perceived by others in order to build and maintain relationships.  Personally, I need to work towards building and strengthening relationships with others, as well.

4 comments:

  1. Wanda,
    You are so right about people knowing us better than we think they know us. Sometimes they know us better than we know ourselves. That's why it is sometimes good to ask a person [just out of the blue]what they think about something that pertains to you. If they are close to you, they may tell you some things that you never thought about yourself...very interesting :)

    Great post!

    CCWhite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wanda:

    I agree with you that seeing how others perceive us helps us build relationships. I think it also important to gain trust so that friends, families, and co-workers feel they can approach us with feedback about our strengths and weaknesses to meet their communication needs.

    Thank you for sharing,
    LouAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wanda,

    Your insight about being aware of how others perceive us is something I also learned this week. It's important for us to think about what we say and how we say it. I've found that it doesn't take much to cross a line and accidently hurt someone's feelings. Thanks for sharing your insights!
    maggie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wanda,

    Being perceived by others in a positive light is something that I too strive for. There are instances when this is out of our control and people will believe what that they want. However, I couldn't agree with you more that we must always be cognizant of how we react, and behave in the presence of others because it just might negatively affect their opinions of us. Great post Wanda!

    ReplyDelete