Saturday, April 7, 2012

Adjourning

I believe groups where you develop the most relationships/friendships are the hardest to leave.  I've participated in several conferences where we were worked together for several days.  We worked together during the day to accomplish certain goals, and then we came together after hours to socialize and unwind.  We usually spend our last night together having dinner and drinks and maybe even attending a party.  We also make sure to exchange phone numbers and/email addresses in order to stay in touch.

I hope to adjourn from the colleagues I formed while working on this master's degree with email address and/or numbers so that we can keep in touch.  I would love to keep in touch with everyone in order to continue networking and building relationships.  Ideally, I wish we could all meet at graduation, and then get together to celebrate afterwards, but I know this will not be possible for everyone.

Adjourning is an essential stage of teamwork because it allows opportunities to reflect on the experiences learned and shared while in a group.  It also allows opportunities to say goodbye or continue to maintain the relationships/friendship that have been established during the group.


O’Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2009). Real communication. New York: Bedford/St. Martin’s

3 comments:

  1. Wanda,

    It would be nice for everyone to get together for graduation. That would be icing on the cake for us all to finally meet face to face. I beleive the adjourning for us will be bitter sweet because if don't get every email address we wanted we might never find that person again. It is not as if we are all in the same town and can just look that person up. Our adjourning will also be a reminder that this journey is over and now it is time to hurry up and hit the work force with our new found accomplishment. Ah!!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanda,

    I too felt it most difficult to leave groups in which I had formed relationships with the members. Once that strong relationship is built, it becomes a friendship and it almost feels like a loss when the group adjourns. I too hope that the students in our class can find a way to keep in touch, if not for personal relationships that we have formed, then for the professional connections that we will need to maintain throughout our careers. I also hope that when we hit a wall in our careers, we can always turn to former classmates for advice. I think the relationships we have formed make us stronger early childhood education professionals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wanda,
    I agree with your idea regarding us being able to meet at graduation. Although we have communicated via discussion board, and in the blogs there is nothing like meeting someone face to face. I recieved an email about us keeping in touch via fb. Perhaps that can be one way to do so. I would be interested in finding out if others are able to get new jobs, or promotions based on their new achievements. Truly it has been a pleasure learning with everyone. Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete