Saturday, May 7, 2011

Birthing Experience

The birth of my second child, who is now 16 years old, was completely different from the births of my first and third children.  This is the birth that I had to have a very unexpected emergency c-section with.  I was scheduled to be induced at exactly 36 weeks after spending the six weeks prior on bedrest. I had been telling my doctor and my mom the entire time I did not want a c-section. Everthing started out fine that morning after I was induced and eventually received my epidural. All of a sudden my daughter's heartrate began to drop due to a reaction to the medicine.  I ended up having an c-section, anyway, but my daughter was born healthy at 5lbs14ozs.  She was also born with an extra digit on each hand and an extra digit on one foot.
I chose this example because it was different and harder than my other natural births.  I prefer the natural birth, and I often say if the c-section was the only way to give birth, I would probably have one child instead of three.  (Thank God for natural birth!)
My thoughts regarding birth are regardless of what we want to happen, sometimes we have to do whats best for ourselves and our unborn child.  As children grow older, we have to continue to do whats best for them regardless of what they want to happen.

Births in Sweden
Midwives handle the entire pre, during and post birth, unless there are complications.  A doctor is seen after birth to check the ears, eyes, heart, etc.  C-section rate is lower that most western countries. (17% compared to 31% in U.S.)
The differences are that my pre, during and post birth, was done by a doctor. Similarities are that if complications arise, a doctor will deliver care.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your story. My only birthing experience was a c-section. Overall it was a very good experience, but the recovery was a little rough. Once I had the staples removed I started to feel better. It has been a year since my son was born and at times, I still have little pains on my incision. I look forward to working with you throughout this class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanda,

    I am not sure what it is...but when you have your second child, it can be life changing! There are many similarites in your selection on births in Sweden in comparison to mine on Liberia. I believe Western civilizations embrace the natural "holistic" approach verses modern medicine. Thanks for sharing your personal story as well as your info on Sweden. Take care.

    ReplyDelete