Saturday, May 14, 2011

NUTRITION/MALNUTRITION

I chose this health topic because it really bothers me that there are so many children in this world who don't get the proper nutrition they need and suffer from malnutrition as a result.  I stay on my children, constantly, about not wasting food and being picky because so many children don't even get to eat, much less have the opportunity to pick and choose.  It is so very important for children to have proper nutrition in order to grow and develop properly, and even to function day to day without being tried or hungry.  
As I continue to learn more about nutrition/malnutrition, I hope to able to advocate for better nutrition by emphasizing how important it is for children as they grow and develop.
Nutrition/Malnutrition in China
In China, 12% of poverty areas are being affected by malnutrition.  Over recent years, China has often met or exceeded  agricultural needs, but they are now facing nutrition and food concerns in poorer regions.  Many adults and children suffer from malnutrition and vitamin & mineral deficiencies.
In 2010, free lunch programs were started for some students in high poverty areas.  Many of these children suffer from low weight and shorter heights because of malnutrition.



3 comments:

  1. Wanda,

    Many people are unware of how many children in the U.S.A. go without meals. With the economic challenges that many families are facing, I can imagine that the implications of this fact are more prevelant than ever. Some of the providers that I work with actually serve their children dinner for snack. They have things like grilled cheese, and soup, breakfast food, etc. The providers are concerned that the parents are not feeding them AT ALL. So they have taken the initiative to ensure that they have food. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also concerned with malnutrition. Many of my students over the years have not been fed properly at home. I would buy food with my own money to feed the during class. I felt so bad for them! They couldn't focus on learning because they were so hungry. I wish I could afford to buy more food and send some home with them. Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you find out how many children are serviced through the lunch programs? How does it compare with the United States? Do they service families or just students?

    ReplyDelete