Saturday, June 21, 2014

"Profile of a Volunteer"

The person I chose to profile is a former Head Start parent of mine that dedicated so much of her time to my classroom.  She came almost everyday and help out in the classroom with whatever we needed.  She helped with serving meals, cleaning, running errands, cutting out letters for bulletin boards, etc.  She also accompanied us on field trips often which was always good to have another person along.  The children loved her and were just as comfortable with her as they were with the teachers.

I feel her work has positively impacted others because she devoted so much time to her child's education and to the school as well.  It also impacted others because Head Start gets in-kind credit for volunteers, and although she knew that volunteering her time helped the school in some capacity, I don't think she realized to what extent.

The vital message here is that there are always opportunities to play a part in educating children and making a lasting impact on their lives as they grow and learn. We should all look for ways to play a part in fostering the well-being of children and families.

Thanks to all my parent volunteers for your hard work and dedication

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed that you profiled a former parent at your center. It is so important for parents to play the role of advocate in the lives of children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanda,

    Thanks for profiling a parent; this shows that they can be our biggest advocates because they care about their child's well-being. I have had similar experiences with parents that turned out to be great teachers. I believe as you stated there are always opportunities to do something to impact children's lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I will try this again. I just lost my first communication. I posted it and it disappeared.
    Any way... I liked reading the comments that you posted about the very dedicated parent. It is good to hear that there are some parents that truly care enough about their children's beginning educational steps that they get involved with donating their time. It is also very important for the children to receive the benefits of such devotion to their wellbeing through her volunteer efforts.

    ReplyDelete