Thursday, May 29, 2014

"My Own Capacity"

Which issues impacting young children and their families and/or the field of early childhood fuel your passion?

 All issues concerning young children and their families fuel my passion, especially
 issues dealing with abuse/neglect and child hunger.  The thought of any child
 being hungry or abused/neglected makes me want to work harder as an
 advocate to help put an end to abuse/neglect and hunger.

What resources do you have at your disposal that can benefit your advocacy work? 

 My work, education and experience as an early childhood educator has provided me with many valuable resources such as local, state and national  organizations and agencies that support the well being of children and families.  I have also acquired a lot of resources through classes and research while at Walden that I will continue to use over the years to benefit my advocacy work.  

In what ways do you hope to grow in order to be a more effective advocate?

I hope to broaden my knowledge of the issues that affect young children and families by continuing to stay informed of the changes in early children education, as well as, the policies that affect the services to children and families.  I hope to build relationships with other advocates and become more involved in organizations that also support children and families.



                

2 comments:

  1. Hi Wanda,
    I kept trying different variations of your blog link until I got one that went through. I have enjoyed reading your comments and posts and was getting discouraged that I couldn’t respond to you. Well now I can. After I finally found your blog link I read all of your blog posts. One statement that caught my eye was your comment on why you want to be a child advocate; “Young children cannot speak for themselves; therefore, they need a voice to speak for them and make sure that their needs are being met on a continuous basis”. I understand your desire to reach out to the children who are victims of abuse, neglect and hunger. One of the reasons that I became an early childhood child care provider and preschool teacher was so that I could be a stay at home mom. What I did not realize at the time was the enormous need for quality child care providers. Since then I have witnessed abuse and neglect in many of the children who graced my home with their presence. I learned a lot from all of those children. It did not matter if they were my own children, my foster children, or my preschool children; while they were in my home they were treated with love and respect, given nutritious meals and snacks and I cherished each one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanda,
    I have been trying to view your blog for weeks; I am so thankful that Floranne found a way to find it.
    I believe as educators we all have that need and passion to advocate on the behalf of children because we have worked with them and their families and realize that there are some disparities that need to be changed. As you stated, having an affiliation with various organizations that are advocating for the wellbeing of children is a great place to get involve. I will be watching your blogs going forward.

    ReplyDelete