Saturday, May 19, 2012

Research that Benefits Children and Families-Uplifting Stories

I worked with a family with a special needs foster child for about five years.  The child was a former student at a child development center were I worked, and when the family needed assistance with his care, they contacted me to see if I would be interested in helping part time.  He was diagnosed with shaken baby syndrome, along other neurological complications as a result of being shaken.  He couldn't walk or talk and he had seizures back to back, ranging from very small to very severe.  He had to wear a helmet because often times the severe seizures would cause him to bang his head on the floor. 
I remember all the times he had to have this or that procedure done or the doctors keep switching the medicines to help control the seizures.  For years nothing seem to help, until finally, the doctors got the medicines and doses right.  We begin to see the seizures decrease and, eventually stop altogether.  He begin to crawl and became more away of his environment.  He also begin to express his wants, likes and dislikes, and he was able to recognize familiar people.
Last year he begin walking at the age of nine years old, and he continues to meet new goals.  Although, he still can not speak, he has defeated all the odds thus far, so I'm looking for him to blurt out any day now.
I believe that continued research for treatments of neurological disorders is why this child continues to thrive and progress daily. The procedures and treatments that were questionable at the time, proved to help him progress in his growth and development. This is definitely one of those case where research has benefited this child and family, and now the same research can help many other children and families.

2 comments:

  1. Wanda,
    First I wanted to thank you for what you do to help children reach their full potential. I imagine how much the parents appreciate your time spent with him. I also have an interest in children and neurological research and often wondered how they determine treatment for children with seizures. I had co-worker years ago with a child that had unexplained seizures and I couldn’t help but noticed her frustration when CT scan after another the doctors were unable to find anything. This was when her child was two years old. I believe he is now about 9 years old too! I haven’t heard anything from her since then but he seems to be ok. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neurological disorders are worrisome for parents and caregivers. Any research that can be done to help these children should be appreciated. I am glad to hear that the child has beaten most of the odds. I am sure with the help and continued guidance from you and his family he will eventually speak. It is always great to see a child overcome and succeed.

    ReplyDelete