Saturday, May 12, 2012

Personal Reseach Journey

The topic I chose is autism in preschool age children, and I chose this topic because I believe it is important for early childhood educators to know the signs and system of a child who may have autism in order to prevent the child from being labeled as having behavior problems.  A more personal reason that I chose this topic is because I have friends with a child that exhibits some of the symptoms of autism, and I want to be able to assist them in learning as much as possible about the causes of autism, as well as, what they can do to help their child.

I am glad that we are learning to determine which research is quality so that I will be able to collect information to share that is correct and that will help educators and parents make the best decisions for children. 

I would appreciate it if anyone has any ideas and/or suggestions that will help me pull together reputable and useful information that will be valuable to children and families.

3 comments:

  1. I believe that organization " Autism Speaks" is a reputable source for information on the topic. It has a wealth of resources. A lot still has not been answered about the disorder but new information is coming forth all the time. You have chosen a good topic. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanda,

    I think the subject of Autism is certainly one that deserves attention, particularly in the field of early childhood where it can be appropriately diagnosed and early interventions can begin. I also understand the importance of learning about it from an educators standpoint. In my first student teaching experience five years ago, one of my third grade students was diagnosed with Asperger's. This was my first experience ever hearing about the disorder and the first time I had ever encountered a student who was working with the diagnosis. There was much to learn about this student and the techniques that the teacher used to manage this in the classroom. I was intrigued at the differences in the Autism spectrum and all the information that is available to help the children with this disorder in the classroom. I'm sure you will find the information exciting and relevant to your position!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My director's daughter has Asperger's and ADHD, I will ask her where she gathered her information from when her daughter was first diagnosed. I remember her sharing some of the information with the staff because her daughter attends our after school program and has some difficulty during the summer with being there for 10 hours. I will see what she is able to provide to me and definitely get it to you. This is a great topic to learn about because so many children our misdiagnosed or not diagnosed at all. It is important for an early childhood educator to be able to recognize the signs so to help the family get early intervention if needed.

    ReplyDelete