Saturday, February 18, 2012

Welcoming Families From Around The World

The name of my family's country: Mexico

Five ways to be culturally responsive:
1-Learn basic language that will help me communicate with the family as a way to help meet their needs.
2-Locate an interpretor that will be able to communicate with the family on a more in- depth basis in order to meet their needs.
3-Obtain resources on schools and housing as well as any other resources the family will need in order to help them transition into the new living environment.
4-Obtain information on employment that will help the family locate and acquire a new job.
5-Obtain basic supplies that the family will need to adjust to the new living conditions such as a bus pass/schedule if they do not have a car and/or locations of grocery stores, post office, government agencies, etc.

I hope this preparation will provide the family with the information and resources needed to adjust to living in a new city.  I hope it will make them feel as though they have someone they can trust and depend on in a place that will be new and strange to them.
I  hope I will understand the changes involved in locating to a place that is very different from where you come from, but at the same time, I hope to help make it a pleasant experience. Making these preparations will help me to learn more about what any family needs when they are faced with a new environment and how there basic needs can be addressed.

2 comments:

  1. I like the action steps that you would take. I think these would all be very helpful to the family. It is something that we could all do! Things like a buss pass or schedule are awesome examples. I would have never thought of that! Where I am from we do not have a subway system, but that makes me think maybe the new family is from a place that does. I could see it being VERY helpful obtaining information about bus systems and taxi's for the family to use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanda,

    I allways enjoy reading your post! As I read your post I identified similar responses in the action steps you listed. Working with families can be a challenge however if you can keep their needs in the forefront and ensure that you meet childs needs and make transitoning easy for them, they will nevr forget the impact you have made on them or their child. Again, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete