Saturday, January 28, 2012

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressionar

A microaggression that I recently witnessed involves a home visit to a Spanish speaking student's house.  I accompanied another teacher on the visit, and she had to request an interpreter for the child and  family.  My co-teacher informed the interpreter, Maria, that the child's name is also Maria.  The interpreter made a comment about how that name is a very common name among the Latino culture.  My co-worker then asked her where was she from, and she said she was born here  in the US.  I thought it was a fair question at the time, but after learning about microaggressions, I understand how things can be assumed if we do not know the culture of those we come in contact with.  I have a better understanding of how easy it is to label people when you don't think about what you are saying before you ask a question or make a comment.  Although it may often be unintentional, we can offend others by assuming we already know them or by forming our own expectations of them.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is very important to get to know the family as well as the child background so they can have a feeling of belonging because you would be able to identify better with them as well as their culture. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you I have said myself to people that they speak well not knowing they were born right here in the UAS. I did not think anything about it until our class I will not do this again.

    Alice

    ReplyDelete