Saturday, July 9, 2011

Relationship Reflection

I believe what makes a relationship strong is being able to trust and depend on someone.  It doesn't have to be a relationship where you talk with the person everyday, but it's knowing that they are always there for you.        My most significant and most important relationships are the ones with my children. ( ages 13, 16, 20)  Being a single mom, I always try to maintain a good positive relationship with my children.  It's not always easy because we go through the bad along with the good, but what I always want them to know is that I am always here for them regardless of how much trouble they think they are in. We spend a lot of time together, talking and listening, and I think they are secure enough in knowing that they can always come to me, even with the hard stuff.  I try to keep communication open and honest so that when in doubt, they will not be lead astray by others, but instead will say, "wait a minute, I have to call my mom first."

Maintaining positive relationships can be challenging because people grow apart by changes in their lives. Circumstances change people and there may not be as much effort put toward maintaining or even developing new relationships.  Some relationships are unspoken understandings between individuals that others can't understand even when you try to explain, so eventually you quite trying and leave them guessing.

As an early childhood professional, I try to build positive, open relationships with others as I do in my personal life.  I try to maintain relationships positively and make lasting impressions, so that even if life sends you in different directions, you can continue the relationship if you meet again.

2 comments:

  1. Wanda,

    You are right, as professionals we need to keep positive relationships at all times with everyone. That is how it is with all professionals I assume, however, when we involve benefiting children we are especially trying to maintain both an educational provider and a role model image. Tough job, but someone's gotta do it!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanda,
    Being positive in all relationships is hard and it takes lots of work but it is so rewarding
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete