Friday, July 22, 2011

"MY CONNECTIONS TO PLAY"

"Children have always learned and created places for themselves through play."
Donna R Barnes

"Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game."
Michael Jordan

"Play gives children a chance to practice what they are learning"
Fred Rogers



We basically played all day long when I was a child; hot, cold, and even rain. I remember going out early in the morning, during the summer, and the only rules were that we had to let someone know if we were leaving from the house, and we had to be back before the street lights came on. My mom use to let use use old pots, pans and spoons to cook with while we played house behind the bushes.  She always made sure we had skates, and we use to be able to go a few streets over to the newly paved street and skate. We use to play on dirt piles and in mud puddles, and it was ok, as long as we didn't track it into the house.  I remember the street flooding during heavy rains at our apartment complex, and it would be like a giant swimming pool after the rain stopped. The entire complex would be outside playing in the water and waiting on someone to try and drive through and get stuck.

Play today is different because children don't get outside as much, and if they do they complain about it being too hot or too cold, or they say it's nothing to do outside.  They are content with staying inside with the computers, video games, and ipods.  Parents don't encourage physical activities unless it's something like team sports such as football, basketball, baseball, etc. and then, it's only because they want to raise a ball player.

It concerns me how play, or the lack of, has changed over the years.  I have wonderful memories of my childhood and the opportunities I had to use my imagination and be creative.  I enjoy talking with my sisters & brother, and old friends about all the crazy and fun things we use to do as children.  I worry that my children won't have the same type  of memories to share when they are older.  Even as adults we need to take time to play and have fun.  I have coloring books and crayons that I use now, because it was one of my favorite things to do as a child, and it helps me to relieve stress.  I guess that's also why I love teaching preschool. It keeps me young by allowing me to lay on the floor and color, sing kids songs, read my favorite children's books, play house, etc.


“We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw

“Play keeps us vital and alive. It gives us an enthusiasm for life that is irreplaceable. Without it, life just doesn’t taste good” Lucia Capocchione
"We all need empty hours in our lives or we will have no time to create a dream."
Robert Coles

4 comments:

  1. Wanda,

    Your post was great! I can identify similarities in your post and mine. Times have changed and we have strayed away from the basics of play. It is imperative to have balance and let them play outside with the appropriate supervision. You mentioned coloring with your children, and for me that can be theraputic and relaxing. Thanks for sharing your play experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Times have changed! Many times children do not play outside is fear of the parents. I know in my town children go a little further than they do in my daughter's town. There she does not let her boys outside, except in the back yard unless she or her husband can be outside with them. The neighbors know that Lesley or John will be outside therefore they allow their children out to play on their bikes and play ball. If there is not a parent, the children stay inside. Safety is a great concern of parents. This is sad, this allows the parents to use tv or video games as an excuse to occupy the child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your quote: "Children have always learned and created places for themselves through play." By: Donna R Barnes
    This reminds me of my childhood. We could create such imaginative play scenarios and transport ourselves into another world altogether. This helped us cope, explore, and make sense of our environments and the world we lived in. Children have seemed to have lost this ability. At least, I don't feel this attribute is encouraged by most adults/parents.
    Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wanda,
    I love all your quotes; especially the George Bernard Shaw quote. Play does keep us young and at 51 years old I am thankful daily that I am healthy enough to continue enjoying riding my bike, swimming and hiking with my 8-year-old. We make up silly songs to sing and our new game to obsess over is Yatzee! Your post reminded me of when it rained in my neighborhood where I grew up in Montana. The rain would create small rivers of water in the drainage ditches and we would make small boats to watch them float down the little river for about 1 full block; racing back and forth many times to watch them float down again. Great times like these need to be shared with our children so they are not lost with the continuous upgrades in technology with this generation loosing sight of the simple joys in life.
    I enjoyed reading your post.
    Take care,
    Patty Eningowuk

    ReplyDelete