Saturday, March 19, 2011

Personal Childhood Web

Grandma Manda-  She moved in with us when I was around 7, and she was one that kept me and my sisters and brothers when my Mom work or wasn't there.  She taught me how to sew, and we spent a lot of time making quilts, one of which I still have today.  I remember going to my uncles farm with her, picking vegetables out the garden, and shelling beans and peas every summer.  She used to make us pinto beans and homemade biscuits all the time, when she would get down to the last of the biscuit dough, she would make me and my younger sister a "pistol" shaped biscuits.  She always woke us up in mornings for school, and she would not stop calling your name until you were up.  She taught me a lot about being unselfish and having a giving spirit, and her lesson still impact the way I am with my children today as well as the way I view elderly people.  I believe she was the reason I always wanted to help children and/or the elderly.
She had this saying when someone would make her mad, "You make my a.. hurt!"  Me and my sisters and brother still laugh at that today, and occasionally we say it to people ourselves.
Mom- She raised five kids, without a dad in the picture, but thank God for my Grandmom.  She was very "no nonsense" and very protective of all us.  She made sure we had what we needed, first, before anything or anybody.  I am a lot like her in that I have the same strong spirit that has taught me to be a survivor regardless of what the world throws my way.  She taught me about kindness, to always look out for someone in need, and she taught me how to stand my ground and not let people take advantage of me.
Mrs. Polson(Head Start Teacher) - She was always such a sweet and caring teacher.  She was my favorite teacher, and out of all the teachers I've had over the years, I never forgot her or how nice she was to me.  She still influences me to be a better teacher and person because of her dedication to educating young children.
Ms. Wincy(neighbor) - She was always the coolest mom of all.  She let us hang out at her house, but she made sure we stayed in line.  She has always been like a second mom to us, and now that my mom is no longer living, she continues to look out for us. She reminds me of how I am now when my children's friends always want to sleep over or tag along on vacations.
Deidra(friend) - She was one of my childhood friends that lived next door to us. She was always fun and ready for any and everything.  We had a lot of good times together and are still friends today.  We use to skate, all the time,(metal skates), ride bikes, play dodge ball, and build houses in the bushes and get old pots, bowls, and spoons out the house to cook dirt and leaves.  When we see each other now we always talk and laugh about growing up. I think about all the fun we use to have when my children tell me they are "bored," because I don't ever remember being bored growing up. We made our own fun. 

5 comments:

  1. I think it is great how it was people from different areas of your life that touched you so! It goes to show how many areas one can be influenced from. I think that it is wonderful that your neighbor still checks on you today. Sometimes neighbors can be very special!! - I wrote about mine as well. Further, I think it is awesome that you see parts of how she was in yourself with your children's friends. Everyones childhood webs are different and diverse -which makes us different and diverse. Thank you for sharing yours! I so enjoyed getting to know you better by the people that touched your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't help but think of Bronfenbrenner's thoughts on changes in a child's familial structure over the course of time when I read your comments about Grandma Manda. Thank you for sharing about her influence in your life. I wonder if you would still have a passion for helping and teaching children if she hadn't entered your life when she did. Something tells me that you would because of your mom. I didn't include my younger sister in my childhood web, but your reflections about your friend Deidra stirred up memories with her that are so precious to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandma's are god's gift to grandchildren. That is what my grandma's says and now my mom says to her grandchildren. It doesn't seem to matter how strick grandmas are it isn't as harsh as when mom says the same thing. At least that is my thoughts :) It was very nice to get to know some of the people who you hold dear and how they influanced you. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the quote from your grandmother, "You make my a** hurt." That is hilarious!! Grandma's are angels and they demonstrate wisdom at its finest. It was a pleasure reading your story about your grandmother, brings back memories of my childhood with my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wanda! Came across your blog post, as it touches on some themes that relate to our program, Reunite America.

    You and your readers have likely reconnected with old friends, family members, etc., via Facebook. Well, we at Tostitos want to take it to the next level. Go to our Facebook page and share your story of someone that you haven’t seen in a long while and whom you’d love to reconnect with in person. The best, most compelling stories will be voted on, and we’ll make some of these reunions happen!

    http://www.facebook.com/Tostitos?ref=ts&sk=app_158498747530557

    Check it out, share your stories, and best of luck to everyone.

    ReplyDelete